November 1, 2016

Reel Feels

Movies fill the void that's missing in our lives, sometimes it makes us realize that all the questions we have in life lie within ourselves, but only if we reach deeper. And most of the time (at least for me) watching a movie is really helpful.

So here are my top 10 "reel feels", don't worry I won't spoil anything, I'll just describe some things about the movie and why I chose it.

10. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (2016)


I know this is a new movie but I wasn't aware that the book was published years ago, I've heard about it a few times before but I didn't care for it much until I watched the movie, and it wasn't because of the book but it was because of the actress Eva Green (I have a crush on her)

I love how the peculiar were kept safe by Miss Peregrine. My favorite is of course Jake (or Jacob in the book, if I'm not mistaken) because he sees what I see. This movie gives you a sense of identity.

I loved the movie so much that I actually bought the book right after because friends told me the book is better, and I do believe that, I haven't read it yet, but I know that books are always better than the movies because it doesn't skip anything.

9. Begin Again (2014)


Begin Again makes it in the list because it captures how I view music as one of the requirements of having a beautiful soul. I'm an old soul, I love the Beatles, Michael Jackson, Tears For Fears, and a lot more old bands out there and I love how their lyrics feed the soul, and this movie captures it perfectly.

It also makes the list because of a certain gadget in the movie, you'll get what it is, I actually bought one and I haven't used it yet, because I don't have anyone to share it with yet, maybe one of these days? A little stroll around Intramuros, yes?

8. Lars and The Real Girl (2007)


Ryan Gosling's talent to dedicate himself to be the character instead of being the actor is amazing. I didn't even notice that it was Ryan Gosling acting out during the whole movie (I mean I know it's Ryan Gosling, but I don't see him in the movie, I see his character)

There's a likeness to the character and me, in a slight way - the way that I am very uncomfortable with talking to people and social gatherings. If you've spent time with me outside or planned a night out, you'd notice I like keeping it small, 5 people is already a crowd for me (or have I just gone anti-social the past few years?) So go watch this movie and I hope you love it.

7. The Thin Red Line (1998)


The Thin Red Line is better than Saving Private Ryan - Yes I said that, yes I said that people, go and crucify me. The Thin Red Line is the lesser known war movie of 1998, overshadowed by Steven Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan, and why is that? Of course, Tom Hanks, who wouldn't spend money on Tom Hanks in 1998.

I only knew about this movie when I was in college, researching about World War 2 stories (It's my hobby, reading about WW2) and I googled for "Best War Movies" and The Thin Red Line was there.

If Saving Private Ryan is the action-packed war movie everybody had expected, Thin Red Line is the anti-thesis of war movies - Slow, sensitive, poetic. And I think it's where Terrence Malick outguns the 'ol Steven Spielberg. Malick captured how war can damage the human soul and why war must be avoided at all cost. You'll also be surprised with the cast in this one, and it's 3 hours long so please pop those kernel or better buy a lot of Potato Corner fries (I recommend wasabi flavor)

6. Ang Nawawala (2012)


You might be thinking "What?! A Filipino film made it to your list? An Indie? What a Hipster!" Woah, woah, woah, first of all, I was hip before hipster was a thing. Second, yes, a Filipino indie film made it to my list. Why? Because this is "Reel Feels" mofo, you better recognize that.

But why this? I discovered this from a friend who suggested this to me, that friend of mine hates Filipino movies, and for him to suggest this to me with great enthusiasm made me really wonder. I got a chance to watch it when it was shown in Cinematheque Manila, I think it was only in April or May when I saw this.

The movie also made me discover Pinoy indie musicians like Hannah + Gabi, and Ang Bandang Shirley. Go watch this, now! DVD costs around Php 1,200 though, so, let's share a copy?

5. No Strings Attached (2011)


Why this? Because Natalie Portman is fucking perfect here, her smile is fucking perfect I actually cursed on my blog, twice. Because I'm as sweet as Ashton Kutcher. Yeah I know, not good looking as him but hey, if you close your eyes, I'm still sweet.

Now ok, jokes aside, I love this movie because it gives me that "kilig" factor. Because it's just so relevant about people starting out for fun and then falling in love, getting things complicated and then the fall out and then the rebirth of love.

Honestly, I can't explain it in words, just watch this. XoXo

4. The Pursuit of Happyness (2006)


Yep, that's not a typo, it is titled the Pursuit of Happyness. It's been 10 years since this movie was released and it's such a big hit so I don't really expect a lot of people who won't know this movie. But in case you don't, this is a true-to-life story of a man being broke and just wields his incredible will power to get through hardship. I cried, not shed tears, I cried and I'm not ashamed of that. For such a beautiful story like this, who wouldn't let a few manly tears flow?

3. Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)


I don't think I need to explain why this. I mean, why not? We all have our wallflower sides, but only a few see and feel things, and for the few who do, I already love you, from the bottom of my heart, because if you see and feel the things I do, we should hang out.

2. Love, Rosie (2014)


What can I say? I fell in love with Lily Collins ever since. The unconditional love in this movie is just amazing. I can't explain it, the love here is raw and just beautiful. I love it, I love it, I love it. So watch it, watch it, watch it! I still don't have the book so anyone out there want to give me one? Thanks in advance!

1. Swiss Army Man (2016)


Swiss Army Man is an Indie film that was supposed to show here in the Philippines but somehow it got pushed off by a big-budgeted movie and I hate the cinemas for doing that. I had to scour the net for this.

Daniel Radcliffe plays a dead person here and all I can say about his performance is that he 'killed' it. Get it? He killed it (HA HA HA)

This is a comedy-drama-adventure-almost musical-soul-searching movie. This is about accepting yourself for being who you are and you don't need to hide it, you don't need to hide being weird because at the end of the day it's your life and you need to express it, and express it now. People know me as the devil-may-care guy who doesn't mind being embarrassed for some shit he's done.

Yeah, I don't really mind about not having to care what people think, I do what I do as long I'm happy and I don't step on anyone's happiness. That's just me, and maybe that's why that when I watched this film, it was a personal confirmation that I am sure of myself, that I am no longer looking for my identity because what I am for the past years, the "bumpy" in me is no longer an alter ego, it was the real me, my personal experiences made the "bumpy" I am now, and I'm not ashamed of that.

And if only I can force everyone to watch this, everyone will find their identity. And I want you to watch this, watch it alone, with headphones and listen to all the conversations because it's all important or else you'll be lost in the movie. Watch this so that you don't have to hide your weirdness, we just have to show them.

---End of List---

No comments: