October 8, 2010

Last week's FOODtastic experience!

For the past 8 days, I've done nothing with my life but eat, eat and eat. Not just eat but I try, try, tried other foods than the usual I eat at home. 

I think it's foolish, when you go somewhere like a restaurant and then you ordered hot dogs and eggs? I mean that's processed food you can also buy at the local supermarket and cook it yourself for less than 70% of what you'll pay the restaurant. Why not try hot dogs and eggs like this:

Let me introduce you to the dish that could only be found inside the walls of Intramuros, Manila. Meet the Sizzling friends: Hot dog, meat loaf and egg drowned with gravy, ain't that something? Totally a new experience for the taste buds, and it's not even expensive, that meal only costs 35 pesos, that's like 50 cents in terms of American Dollars. It's a good meal and a money saver. Money well spent in this meal. 




The next one, they call the Seafood Ramen:
This Japanese dish boasts of its natural marine life. The soup gives you the splashes and waves of the roaring sea. Ramen meals are better if they are bought from authentic Japanese restaurant. This one however was just a mere 6/10 for me, the serving is big and it satisfied my hunger but the taste was missing. Too bad this was the first time I tried to eat ramen and it was a failure. I would still consider this Japanese cuisine encounter a FOODtastic experience because of the awesome marinated prawn tempura.



For the young patriotic tongues out there! Yes yes history tells us that the Japanese and American fought in our land during WW2 and they're cuisines should not be part of the Filipino culture, that's what they all say. They overreact, I love my country, no doubt about it, I fought with people dissing my beloved Philippines, but we should also understand that the world's changed, this is the era of peace, the closest to heaven.

MOVING ON! If you want to get a taste of our famous Filipino cuisine but you are on a tight budget, don't worry because Mang Inasal restaurant is here to save our flattening wallets! For just 99 Pesos or 2 Dollars, you get to enjoy the "rice all you can" promo! The style of Mang Inasal is closely patterned with "Tokyo Tokyo" but this time, Filipino foods are served.

PORK BARBECUE FROM MANG INASAL
This is the pork barbecue of Mang Inasal. The place is considered a college student's wallet favorite, they have all the choices of their juicy chicken and pork viands.

BUMPY TRIVIA:
When I learned that I was chosen as a Photo Editor for our school paper, I treated myself and coincidently it was my 1st time to eat there. I had 4 cups of extra rice. Celebration indeed.




JOEL TORRE'S MANUKAN Chicken Meal
There's another restaurant like this offering Pinoy food, one of my favorites is the J.T's Manukan. Not Justin Timberlake but one of the Philippines' best actors of the 80's up to the present, the star of the world famed 1982 film "Oro, Plata, Mata" (Gold, Silver, Death). His restaurant is surprisingly not meant for the Class A citizens, but the theme is a simple open air grill restaurant, meant for the average Filipino citizen to enjoy what he offers. If you're lucky just like me you might even have a chance Joel Torre himself drinking beer or wine with his buddies like he doesn't own the place. JT's really affordable too! one great place for the masses!


Last but not definitely the least of my FOODtastic week experience. This ended my week with a bang! I walked at least a kilometer or 2 just to get here, the first time I was here I was with my professor and several classmates, but earlier I was just with my 2 friends who missed the spicy hot Halal cuisine at Quiapo, Manila. As I said on my previous blog, it was "The Mecca of Halal Food" each time I eat there. I missed the "Chicken Papar" at Mofara's Halal Food haus! I munched out at it again, I guess my brother Muslim diners quicly noticed that I was Catholic because me and my friends were the only ones sweating so hard while eating. The new addition to the Halal experience is the Halal Burger, we went on to find the place where my Professor who is Royal by the way, he gave us directions on where to buy this burger. It was another experience, it looked like the same burger but the taste was different, it had a certain sweetness in it. It was surprising to learn that the ones who were cooking were Christian believers, I was a little dumbfounded at that time, I thought that Halal food business only hire Muslims.




So this week has become a little bit "filled" with chicken, pork and beef and it was kinda awesome that I ate at different places without even noticing it until today. I haven't done food hunting in my life and I must say that it was awesome. By the way, I'm going back to Mofara's Halal Food Haus in the near future! 


                           To finally end this blog here's a picture of your very satisfied blogger. I'll be back! 


Note: Please feel free to comment! say anything at all! :) cheers!

No comments: